[spb_row wrap_type=”content-width” row_bg_type=”color” row_bg_color=”#f5f5f5″ bg_type=”cover” parallax_image_height=”content-height” parallax_image_movement=”fixed” parallax_image_speed=”0.5″ bg_video_loop=”yes” parallax_video_height=”window-height” parallax_video_overlay=”none” row_overlay_opacity=”0″ row_padding_vertical=”0″ row_margin_vertical=”0″ remove_element_spacing=”yes” vertical_center=”true” row_expanding=”no” row_animation=”none” row_animation_delay=”0″ width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [spb_blank_spacer height=”30px” width=”1/6″ el_position=”first”] [spb_text_block animation=”none” animation_delay=”0″ padding_vertical=”10″ padding_horizontal=”0″ width=”2/3″]
Eskmills Venue is managed by Hickory. Hickory’s Environmental Policy can be found on their site, here.
At Eskmills we are committed to ensuring that the environment is safeguarded for future generations and to continually improving our performance through our active environmental policy.
As a general principle, we seek to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Through a range of eco-friendly measures we actively involve all our staff, delegates and guests in helping to achieve our green agenda.
- We are a member of Visit Scotland’s Green Tourism Business Scheme.
- Our kitchen includes locally-sourced produce in their menus.
- Wherever possible, we recycle waste, such as plastic bottles and our used cooking oil.
- We reduce our use of paper by using e-mail, e-brochures and e-faxing.
- Wherever possible, we ensure that all our purchases are made from recycled materials.
- We monitor our heat, light and power consumption.
- We provide video conferencing as a resource for clients who wish to reduce the need to travel to meetings.
- Bird boxes are located in the hotel grounds for local wildlife.
- We offer bicycles and cycling/walking routes for our guests.
Our approach has helped us secure a Green Tourism Award and is assisting in our goal of providing a better quality of life for our local community, as well as for our staff and their families. We take our environmental responsibilities seriously and will continue to work across the following areas to enhance our eco-friendly service.
- In the marketplace, we have a responsibility to delegates, guests, suppliers and partners.
- In the workplace, we are committed to what we regard as our most valuable resource – our employees.
- In the environment, we are doing all we can to reduce our impact on the planet.
- In the community, we are ensuring we are an active partner in the community where we operate.
Carbon Footprint Calculator
Calculate your carbon footprint by rail, car, bus or plane here.
We are committed to helping to reduce the impact of our activities on the environment. A symbol of this commitment is our membership of the Scottish Tourist Board’s Green Tourism Business Scheme and our pledge to the Resource Efficiency Pledge.
We recognise the importance of reducing our impact on the environment. Our commitment to improving energy and water efficiency, reducing, reusing and recycling is carried out at all levels of our business, from employees to guests and suppliers. We endeavour to minimise the adverse impact our operations have on the environment.
A taste of our green credentials:
- Green Tourism Silver award;
- a Resource Efficiency Scotland Pledge;
- a specially-designed Going Green Business Package to promote green business;
- low energy lighting has been installed in areas where lightning is required for more than 6 hours a day;
- dedicated environmental working groups;
- recycling, reducing and reusing;
- use of fresh water as our standard and the installation of low flow water taps to minimise water wastage;
- installing nesting houses and feeders for birds to support local wildlife; and
- constantly seeking to improve our environmental performance.
We have made significant efforts to reduce our carbon footprint and the amount of waste that we send to landfill.
Environmental objectives form an integral part of our Business Plan and Environmental Policy.
We aim to become a sustainable venue through our work in the following areas:
We acknowledge and endorse all current waste regulations and try to exceed them as an example of best practice in the industry when possible. Hence, we:
- recycle dry mixed recyclables such as paper, cardboard, cans and plastics; glass; are among the items we recycle.
- our cooking oil is collected by a SEPA registered company and recycled into bio diesel.
- food waste is recycled and collected by Growing Forth for the production of green electricity and natural bio-fertilisers.
- we use an eco-friendly biological grease trap to avoid the any grease or fats reaching sewers and drains.
Our energy consumption is continually monitored to improve our energy efficiency and we have taken the following steps:
- centrally controlled air conditioning in all areas, including the venue space;
- heating and lighting is isolated or switched off in areas that are not being used;
- low level lighting has been installed areas where light is consistently used for more than 6 hours a day.
- motion detectors have been installed in parts of the venue and the company relies on the use of highly efficient equipment to reduce the energy and water use.
We ensure that our suppliers are aware of our environmental goals and have their own environmental policies in place. We monitor their performance to ensure the goods and services they provide meet our environmental objectives.
Our guests are happy to help us to sustain the environment. You can also help by:
- passing on any waste to staff for recycling;
- use public transport links to reach us;
- using only the water you need in our bathrooms.
Our team leaders are actively involved in the Green Team that monitor and review our sustainable environment aims and achievements compiled on our Green Action Plan.
Projects and issues are then assigned to our Green Champion to investigate, achieve and monitor. Monthly checks are carried out by our Executive team and Green Champion who monitor progress and look for any achievements made in the departments.
For our new staff, the green message is introduced through a staff booklet and through individual training plans.
Here at Eskmills Venue we are committed to reducing the impact of our activities on the environment. A symbol of this commitment is our membership of the Scottish Tourist Board’s Green Tourism Business Scheme.
We are committed to improving energy and water efficiency, reducing, reusing and recycling across the business, from employees to guests and suppliers.
Our environmental policy is to:
- develop and increase responsible purchasing methods to include sourcing products such as locally produced goods, and using suppliers that maintain ethical practices for equipment, energy and chemicals;
- monitor energy, water and waste levels on a monthly basis and take action where necessary;
- ensure the efficient use of energy, water and other resources, encouraging an ‘environmentally responsible’ attitude;
- make our guests and staff aware of environmental issues and the responsibilities they have for the environment, through regular communication by induction, meetings, training and frequent guest information;
- develop and maintain waste minimisation measures, including recovery and recycling activities and systems;
- constantly seek to improve our environmental performance; and
- promote the reduce, reuse and recycle ethos.
Our Green Team
Our Green Team meets regularly to monitor and review our sustainable environment aims and achievements. This group has representatives from all departments within the venue.
Our energy consumption will be continually monitored and we will improve our efficiencies in this area at every opportunity.
- low energy lighting has been installed in parts of the venue.
- air conditioning, including in the main venue space, is centrally controlled.
- heating and lighting can be isolated/turned off in unused areas.
- a high efficiency boiler has been installed with regular checks made and recorded.
Reduce, reuse, and recycle
We have a positive commitment to reduce, reuse, and recycle where possible throughout the venue.
- low energy LED lighting has been introduced to reduce energy.
- all stationery is reused/recycle.
- cans, paper, plastic, bottles, oil, light bulbs, batteries, toner and cartridges are recycled at every occasion.
- use of bottled water and water machines to minimise water wastage as well as low flow taps installed.
- water turned off as soon as possible.
We demonstrate a strong commitment to sustainable best practice believing it is essential to reduce its impact on the environment. Eskmills Venue is committed to reducing its negative effect on the planet with significant efforts being made to reduce carbon footprint and the amount of waste that it sends to landfill. Environmental objectives form an integral part of the Company’s Business Plan, as does its Environmental Policy.
We undertake to inform our suppliers and contractors of our environmental policies and will monitor their performance to ensure that the goods and services they provide meet our environmental objectives.
Our customers and guests are made aware of our initiatives and we encourage them to help us achieve our environmental goals and objectives.
Our employees will be provided with the information, instruction and training necessary to fulfill the requirements of our policy.
Our policy is monitored and reviewed to ensure its effectiveness and will be revised where necessary.
Sustainable Purchasing Policy
Eskmills Venue uses the following criteria for its sustainable purchasing :-
- asking suppliers for their sustainability commitment and their policy, including supporting evidence and documentation.
- discuss with the supplier their method of delivery and packaging.
- look at reducing energy and water consumption.
- calculate the running cost of the product.
- will the supplier take the goods back and recycle them? If not, consider your responsibility – the cost of disposing if it cannot be recycled.
- as a purchaser we will take into account what impact it will have on the local and wider environment.
- Eskmills Venue will aim to buy environmentally and socially responsible products.
- the welfare of animals and the environment are important to us. We aim to make a difference by buying products that show this commitment.
- we aim to reduce waste and other negative impacts on the environment.
- where possible we use Fair Trade produce.
Sustainable purchasing should consider the environment, social and economic consequences of:
- non-renewable material use;
- manufacture and production methods;
- service delivery;
- recycling options;
- disposal; and
- suppliers’ capabilities to address these issues throughout the supply chain.
- reduce buying, i.e. buying in bulk
- long life products
- Recycled goods
- Reduced impact
Eskmills Venue believes in making the information and functionality on our web site equally available to all visitors.
We have therefore made this site as usable and accessible as possible so you can easily find the information you are looking for. When using this site, you will find features that make it as accessible as possible to users with impairments and to their adaptive technology.
If you would prefer the font size to be larger or smaller, you can easily adjust it using your browser.
Text Size instructions
- PC / Internet Explorer 6 From the top menu bar, select View and point to Text size
- PC / Internet Explorer 7 From the menu bar underneath the search field, select Page and point to Text size
- PC / other browsers Increase text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press –
- Mac / all browsers Increase text size: Hold down the Command key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the Command key and press –
This site has been designed with style sheets to allow maximum flexibility. Header tags and tables summaries have been effectively added to this site.
Form controls are properly grouped and labelled.
This website has been optimised for use on mobile phones and tablets. For more information about website accessibility please visit the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
If you experience any problems using this site, or have some feedback or suggestions on how to improve accessibility, please contact us.
Eskmills Visitor Charter
At Eskmills Venue, we recognise that we have environmental responsibility and are committed to working towards a sustainable future, aiming to become one of the environmentally friendly venues in Scotland.
We are members of the Green Tourism Business Scheme, and as an indicator of our sustainable practices we have achieved the Silver Award.
Our policy is to recycle as much waste as the local facilities allow. Our staff also separate bottles, cans and papers collected from events. We take the obvious steps like using energy saving lightbulbs and we are always looking for new ways to reduce our environmental impact.
Be a responsible visitor
Leave the Car: Give the car a rest. Try walking, cycling or using public transport. If you must make that trip in the car try car sharing.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Pass any waste or packaging onto our staff, who will pass it on for recycling.
Be Water Wise: Please use water wisely. Turn off the tap after using the bathrooms and use our energy-saving hand dryers to dry your hands.
Respect Nature: Please respect our area of natural beauty, using designated footpaths and placing any cigarette ends in the bins provided.
If you are attending a conference only print materials that are required and consider sharing a taxi when travelling to/from local train stations or airports. Event staff will make sure all waste paper is recycled.
Local Produce: Our menus contain local, sustainable and organic produce. Why not try them?
Support the Green Tourism Business Scheme: There are hundreds of businesses trying to reduce their environmental impacts through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more environmentally responsible. See www.green-business.co.uk for more information.
[/spb_text_block] [spb_blank_spacer height=”30px” width=”1/6″ el_position=”last”] [/spb_row]